Information MenuBooking Conditions
What Is Included In Your Cottage
Dogs on Holiday
For the Kids
Pampering and Massages
Things To Do On-Site
Things To Do Nearby
Shotley Peninsula Tours
Shotley Vineyard Tours
Beaches And Water Sports
What's On 2018
Fairfields Farm Crisps
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Quality Assessment Report
Pheasant, Orwell View Barns, Suffolk
Join Our Mailing ListKeep up to date with any special offers, late availability and cancellations by joining our free mailing list.
Orwell View Barns Holiday Cottages Information
Orwell View Barns promotes sustainable practices which will will help ensure the continued enjoyment of the environment around us for future generations.
We seek to minimise the risk of possible pollution in our policies and activities. As part of our commitment to continuous environmental improvement Orwell View Barns uses a Klargester bio disc sewage treatment plant and heating and hot water is supplied by a low carbon biomass wood chip boiler.
We comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice and work closely with the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Estuaries Management Group and other conservation organisations to enhance the biodiversity of the farm which is in Natural Englands Higher Level Stewardship scheme. 110 acres of our permanent pasture are within the internationally acclaimed Orwell estuary SSSI and about 345 acres are within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Within these areas can be found at least 8 species listed in the BAP. In 2007 we were awarded the Suffolk Farming and Wildlife Group's Farm Conservation Award; in 2011 we were awarded a Creating the Greenest County award in the AONB category. In 2012 we were delighted to be one of 6 finalists for the FWAG Conservation award for winners in the last 30 years. At the 2013 BALE Award (Best Alternative Land Enterprise) we won the prestigious best 'Green' practice section.
- We live in one of the driest corners of the country and are conscious of the need to conserve water.
- We have installed water butts for car and boot washing and irrigation of plants and are looking into the possibilities of grey water harvesting. We hope you will help us in this by using water carefully during your stay.
- We have encouraged the use of reclaimed materials during the conservation works to the historic barns, including purpose built windows and doors, reclaimed red brickwork and clay pan tiles to the roof, and insulation to all parts of the building is to the highest standards to reduce carbon omissions.
- All our appliances are A energy rated, and we supply environmentally friendly washing products and cleaning materials for our guests' use.
- All our washing, and pressing is carried out in house and where possible every item is dried naturally keeping our carbon footprint to a minimum.
- Low energy light bulbs and recycled paper products are used where possible.
- We recycle about 80% of our waste using the various schemes available, and we encourage sustainable tourism by providing for walkers and cyclists; there are beautiful walks along the river bank to the pubs and marinas and local crafts people and we have bicycles for you borrow so there is plenty to do without stepping into your car.
- We support local businesses and charities and Richard is Vice Chairman of Shotley Parish Council.
At Orwell View Barns, we encourage guests to consider their environmental impact and where possible to:
- Compost green kitchen waste;
- Use the separate bins provided for bottles, cans and paper;
- Use recycled paper products should you need to purchase replacements;
- Use water wisely;
- Conserve energy by switching off lights and line drying the laundry;
- Adhere to the Countryside Code and look after our estuaries;
- Support the local food producers / restaurants by recommendation;
- Use environmentally friendly washing and cleaning products should you need to purchase replacements; and
- Leave hazardous waste such as batteries with us for safe disposal at our local recycling centre.
The heating scheme was part funded by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and received support from the Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB Sustainable Development Fund.
We welcome suggestions from our customers as to how we can improve our environmental policy and protect the environment and increase the enjoyment of your stay.